Well, it’s certainly not a major milestone or anything, but day two of my diet is in the books. I had a pretty good day, I think. Here’s how the day went:
Rise and Shine
5:30 AM. That’s a big deal for me. I love to sleep.
- Chocolate chip cookie dough baked oatmeal, which I adapted from the recipe you can find here. I substituted non-fat yogurt for the applesauce, because in the past, I thought the applesauce added a funky taste. I actually only made half of the recipe, and baked it in a half-cup ramekin. I didn’t use any oil, and for the half recipe, I used one teaspoon of mini chocolate chips. Mini chocolate chips have 25 calories and 1.5 grams of fat for a teaspoon…and it’s worth it. 🙂
- A hard boiled egg
- One cup of skim milk
- One cup of coffee with light creamer
- The other half of my Beach Club unwich from the day before. I seriously adore this sandwich. I don’t even miss the bread. I think if I put avocado spread on just about anything, though, I’d love it.
- One serving of Thinny Chips
- Two slow cooker buffalo chicken breast sammies (I’ll get to these in a bit)
- Half a cup of skim milk
A cup of light orange juice. I bought it because it only had 40 calories per cup, compared to 100 (or more) for regular orange juice. Big mistake. I hated it. It didn’t taste like orange juice. It tasted like Sunny D, which I really don’t like. I think I’d rather have half a cup of the real thing.
Daily water consumption
Half a gallon. I actually was really thirsty shortly before bed (maybe I’m starting to crave water, like I’ve heard tales about), but I was afraid I’d have to get up a million times during the night, so I abstained. 🙂
About 10:00 PM. One thing I’ll say for getting up early…you’re ready for bed early, too. 🙂 Tonight will likely be a different story, because it’s a class night, and we have a super high-stress merger negotiation, so I’ll probably be pretty high strung by the time I get home and will have to wind down for awhile.
With dinner, I was going to cook some green beans, but we had to head off to church so we were in a rush. I’m also coming down with a nasty chest cold, so I felt like making things as simple as possible, and everything else was all ready (I know…excuses, excuses!) The buffalo chicken sammies were AMAZING. It’s a recipe (or really, a method), that my sister taught me. We put a pound and a half of chicken breast tenderloins in the crock pot, sprinkled on half a packet of dry ranch dressing mix (which really doesn’t have much in it in its dry state), and then poured on 3/4 cup of mild wing sauce. I cooked them on low for about 9 hours or so. By the time I got home, I didn’t even have to shred the chicken…it literally fell apart as I stirred it. We then ate it on light hot dog buns. I calculated each sammie to be 190 calores, including the bun. It made a TON, too. I had two sammies, The Hubs had two, and Bean had one. We still had about half of the chicken left. Leftovers for The Hubs!
So that’s day two in a nutshell. I’ve gotta say, even though I haven’t started exercising, I’m already feeling like I have more energy. There’s certainly more pep in my step. I can tell I’m walking faster, and I don’t feel as run down at the end of the day. Though my diet certainly isn’t the model of what a perfectly healthy lifestyle would ideally be, it’s certainly VASTLY improved from the “norm” for me. I’m trying to get going slowly. If I can find ways to incorporate tastes that I enjoy into my healthier diet, then perhaps I’ll be more prone to stick with it.